Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot 5k
"Run/Walk For Those In Need" on Thanksgiving Day.
The Warwick Rotary Club held it's first annual Thanksgiving Day 5K Turkey Trot in 2014 at Warwick City Park. Under the threat of an early Fall snow storm sixteen Rotary volunteers showed up at 6:30 AM to prepare for the 8:00 AM start of the Trot. Sixty participants ran or walked that first morning. Proceeds of $250 were distributed to Warwick's three high schools for the purpose of doing charitable works for their school communities. One hundred twenty-five pounds of non-perishable food was collected and donated to the Westbay Marketplace food pantry.
Each succeeding year has seen the Trot grow in scope and participation. Boy Scouts from local troops have joined with several dozen Rotarians to set-up, do registration, monitor parking and traffic and to monitor runners and walkers throughout the Park. A creative costume competition was added in the second year. Best dressed participant, best dressed family and most creative participants have added to the spirit of the event. Attendance has grown to number in the hundreds and proceeds of thousands of dollars have been donated to local charitable groups. To see who The Trot is benefiting this year Click the Register Now Button. The Trot has become a family friendly Thanksgiving Day Tradition for many in our community.
2017 Turkey Trot Facts
- 391 walkers/runners
- 648 pounds of non-perishable food collected and donated to Westbay Marketplace Food Pantry Proceeds
- $3800 was divided equally between the Warwick Rotary Charity Fund and K.E.E.P. (Kent Employees Emergency Progam)
- 18 Rotary volunteers and two other volunteers.
- Seasonable with sunny skies.
2017 Winners of the Costume Contest
Best Costume: Jessica and Madelynn Iozzi ($50 gift card to Not Your Average Joe's)
Most Creative: The Lyman's Terry and Jacqui Lyman, Linda Norman-Lyman, Nicholas Blackman, Sahara the dog ($50 gift card to Sophia's Restuarant)
Best Dressed Family or Group: Mary, Kathryn and Stephen Quinn ($75 gift card to On the Border)
2016 Turkey Trot Facts
- 304 walkers/runners
- 461 pounds of non-perishable food collected and donated to Westbay Marketplace food pantry
- Proceeds of $1,575.00 were donated to Warwick Rotary Charity Fund which was used to supplement other funds for 125 Christmas food baskets donated to Westbay Marketplace food pantry.
- 25 Rotary volunteers, 13 Boy Scouts and troop leaders from Troop 1 Gaspee
- Weather: Seasonable with sunny skies.
2015 Turkey Trot Facts
- 237 Walkers/runners
- 393 pounds of non-perishable food collected and donated to Westbay Marketplace food pantry
- Proceeds of $1,667.00 were donated to the Westbay Marketplace food pantry.
- 18 Rotary volunteers
- Weather: Seasonally cool with bright skies.
- 60 walker/runners
- 125 pounds of non-perishable food collected and donated to Westbay Marketplace food pantry
- Proceeds of $250 divided among Warwick Veterans, Pilgrim and Toll Gate High Schools to further charitable works within their respective school communities.
- 16 Rotary volunteers
- Weather: Cold and overcast but no snow at the start. Sun shining at the finish.